Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Homestyle Chicken and Biscuit Casserole



There comes a time every once in awhile when you just need to have some really good comfort food. And I defiantly got my comfort food fix with this. Not only is this comforting, but its a great meal during this time of year. When it's cooling down and the leaves are changing they're colors. It's just suits this time of year.

I had been craving Chicken Pot Pie for sometime now, but, my mother did not want chicken pot pie. Instead, she wanted biscuits. A chicken and biscuit casserole and a chicken pot pie are just about the same thing. Just, the chicken and biscuit has no pie crust. However, the biscuits makes an awesome substitute for the pie crust!

I was very satisfied with this meal. It was so homey and makes you feel so good. It's why its a comfort food, no? I was also very pleased with the fact that my little brother, whom is incredibly picky about what he eats, actually ate it. He was skeptical at first as he watched me make it, but I threw a plate in front of him and told to at the very least try it. To his own surprise, he really liked it! Which made me extremely happy.

Both my parents were very happy with this meal as well. My mothers the one that wanted it in the first place, so she was pleased. My father enjoyed it very much as well. Though, he was disappointed knowing that he ate so much. Now he knows he's going to need to work out for a while tomorrow!




Recipe

2 cups chicken, cooked and cubed
1 can (10 3/4 oz.) cream of chicken soup
1 bag (16 oz.) frozen vegetables (broccoli, cauliflower, carrots)
1 can refrigerated biscuits
1/4 cup milk
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/4 cup seasoned bread crumbs
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/2 tsp. dried basil
1/2 tsp. dried thyme


1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

2. In a medium saucepan, combine chicken, soup, vegetables and milk. Heat until bubbly and hot. Pour hot mixture into an ungreased 2-quart baking dish. Sprinkle the bread crumbs on top, then sprinkle shredded cheese on top. Arrange biscuits over chicken mixture. Spray a little bit of butter on top of biscuits.

3. Bake in the oven for about 30 minutes or until golden brown. Serve.


1 comments:

Deborah said...

I was talking to a coworker yesterday and she was telling me that she made something almost identical to this earlier this week and she loved it. It must be fate that I make it!

 
 
Genesis of a Cook
check out Tastespotting