This recipe has been on my to do list for what seems like forever now. Why I didn't get to it till now, I have no idea. But I wish I had now. I'm a huge lasagna fan. And to be honest, I use to think that lasagna isn't lasagna with out the meat. Well, apparently, I thought terrible wrong after tasting this recipe.
My mother has been on a diet lately, and she's asked me, for when I cook for everyone that I make something light. But, of course to still taste good. So I thought making this lasagna was a great time and also a great opportunity to make it and try it out. This lasagna is filled with a load of delicious vegetables; All my favorites I might add. Had really every veggie that I really loved. However, it also had every veggie that my boyfriend hated in it (who hates anything vegetable).
Side from my boyfriend, everyone else really loved it, especially my mother. She was very pleased. She loved it right away, as did I. This is defiantly become a new favorite recipe of mine, and whats so great about it is I don't have to feel that guilty about eating it! A plus!
2 tsp. olive oil, divived
2 1/2 cups zucchini, chopped
2 1/2 cups carrots, thinly sliced
2 1/2 cups broccoli, chopped
1 1/2 cups mushrooms, sliced
1 tsp. salt, divided
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
3 1/2 cups fat free milk (or whole, or 1%)
1 cup grated parmesan cheese
1/4 tsp. pepper
Dash of nutmeg
1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
1 1/2 cups cottage cheese
2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
12 precooked or uncooked lasagna noodles *SEE NOTE
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Heat 1 tsp. oil in a pan over medium-high heat. Add zucchini and saute till tender. About 4 minutes. Spoon into a large bowl.
2. Heat remaining 1 tsp. oil in pan and add sliced carrots. Saute for about 4 minutes. Add broccoli and mushrooms. Saute for another 4 minutes or until crisp tender. Add to bowl with zucchini. Sprinkle with salt, toss and set aside.
3. Place flour in a sauce pan. Gradually add milk to flour, stirring with a whisk until blended. Bring to a boil over medium heat and cook for about 2 minutes or until thick. Remove from heat. Add 1/2 cup parmesan, salt, pepper and nutmeg; Stir until smooth. Stir in spinach.
4. Combine cottage cheese and 1 1/2 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese; Stir well. Spread 1/2 cup spinach mixture in the bottom of a 13 x 9" baking dish coated with cooking spray. Arrange 4 noodles over spinach mixture; Top with half of cottage cheese mixture, half of vegetable mixture, and about 1 cup spinach mixture. Repeat layers, ending with noodles. Spread remaining spinach mixture over noodles, and then sprinkle with remaining parmesan and remaining shredded cheese.
5. Cover and bake for about 20 minutes. Uncover and bake for an additional 20 minutes or until cheese is bubbly and beginning to brown. Let stand for about 10 minutes before serving.
*NOTE: You can either make this with uncooked noodles like I normally do, or make it with precooked noodles. If you prefer your noodles to be a little bit more chewy, and not really soft, then make them with uncooked noodles. Just bake for 30 minute covered, then 20 minute uncovered. If you prefer the normal Garden Lasagna with precooked noodles, then follow the time in this recipe as is.