Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Chocolate Mint Brownies





These brownies were made mainly for my boyfriend Chris who actually asked me if I'd bake him something today. And whenever someone asks me to bake something, especially friend or family, I'm always excited and ready to bake.

When I was sitting down on my bed yesterday, looking threw one of my Baking book by Williams-Sonoma, he asked, "If I find something that I like in that book and really want it, would you bake it today?" Oh course I would! I'm always ready to bake, and I was so happy when he actually wanted me to bake him something.

As he looked threw the book, he at first thought he wanted muffins, but then decided he didn't. He knew he didn't want bread. He didn't want to have my make a big pie, cake or cheesecake when it won't be eaten when made. Then we he got to the brownie section, he was like "Yes!" He then choose these Chocolate Mint Brownies. I was actually happy because I had these brownie bookmarked to bake, so, now I get to finally bake them.

These brownies are very and divine delicious, especially for someone who loves mint (Me, Me, Me!!). I love anything and everything mint. Mint is one of my favor flavors, and these brownies defiantly made me all happy and giggly from it yummy chocolate-ness. What could have made these better? A big serving of Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream with it!






Recipe

For Brownies

4 oz. unsweetened chocolate, chopped
1/2 cup butter
1 1/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp. peppermint extract
3/4 tsp. vanilla
1/4 tsp. salt
3 eggs
3/4 cup flour

For Icing

1 cup confectioner sugar
3 tbsp. butter
1 tbsp. milk, or as needed
2 tsp. peppermint extract
Food Coloring (optional)
Sprinkles (optional)


1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line a 8 inch square baking pan with aluminum foil (or a 9 inch pan for thinner brownies; I did this one).

2. To make the brownies, combine the chocolate and butter in a large heavy saucepan over low heat. Stir until melted and smooth. Let cool slightly.

3. Whisk the sugar, peppermint, vanilla and salt into the chocolate mixture. Whisk the eggs, one at a time, whisking well after each addition, then continue to whisk until the mixture is velvety. Add the flour and whisk just until incorporated. Four and scrape the batter into prepared pan.

4. Bake until the top is just springy to the touch and toothpick inserted into the center comes out with a few moist crumbs attached. About 40 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool.

5. To make the icing, combine confectioner sugar, butter, 1 tbsp. milk, and peppermint extract. Stir until necessary, thinning with milk if necessary. The icing should be thick. You can add food coloring to it if you desire.

6. Spread the icing over the cooled brownies. Put sprinkle on top if desired. Cut into 2 inch squares. Remove brownies from the foil. Wrap individually in plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator up to 3 days.



15 comments:

Deborah said...

I always love it when my husband picks out a recipe for me to make - it makes it more fun! I'm a mint lover too, and these brownies sound like they would really hit the spot!

Jenny said...

Those look adorable and delicious! So colorful, my boys would go nuts for these. Great recipe!

RecipeGirl said...

These sound great. Count me in as a mint lover. I wish my husband would actually sit down and pick something for me to make sometime!! He leaves the decisions up to me. Bah humbug.

Elle said...

Great photos--those look SO good!!

Cassandra said...

Yummy. :) I just bought some peppermint extract. Maybe I'll try these first with it.

Anonymous said...

How do you stir something until "necessary"?

Tarah at Genesis of a Cook said...

You stir until it's just thin enough. The milk is what thins the icing, and you don't want it to thin to where as it's soup and liquidy.

Sometimes, depending on how much sugar you use, you might need more milk. If you follow the recipe as it is here, than you should only need about 1 tbsp. of milk :]

Anonymous said...

Those look to die for!

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

what a lovely treat for your boyfriend!! my goodness, that frosting is so perfect! and colorful :0)

Patricia Scarpin said...

Your boyfriend is so lucky. :)

Brilynn said...

I made brownies yesterday as I'd been craving them for a while but they didn't turn out how I had hoped, yours look great!

Anonymous said...

can i be your boyfriend? i mean, i'm not a boy, but that's just a technicality.

i *love* mint and chocolate together. love. and could these look any cuter, with the sprinkles? no. no they could not.

Anonymous said...

i know mint and choc aren't exactly everyone's cup of tea but i love it. strangely enough i've never had a mint choc brownie. thanks for sharing. it look so good - i've made a mental note to try it sometime soon. cheers, myfriend x

Patsyk said...

I LOVE mint! I just know these brownies would not last long with me around.

Your pictures are fantastic... and the sprinkles really make them look so incredibly cute!

thislittlepiggy said...

Yum...soooo cute with the sprinkles too! One of my favourite treats is a mint Aero bar; your recipe is perfect for a brownie lover like me!

 
 
Genesis of a Cook
check out Tastespotting