Thursday, June 19, 2008

Banana Oatmeal Cookies




Bananas are one of those things that I love to bake with. I never get tired of baking up some comforting banana bread or some big, yummy muffins. I love baking with them and having them. One thing that I've always had trouble finding was a good recipe for banana cookies. I tried my handful of tries and as well as tried several other recipes for banana cookies, but, I've never been to crazy about them. I don't want a cookies that reminds me of eating a banana muffin. I mean, its a cookie, not a muffin.

I recently have seen a lot of people talking about The Essential Chocolate Chip Cookbook by Elinor Klivans. I've heard that it's a really awesome cookbook to have on hand, so, when I got the money, I decided to go check it out. One of the recipes that appealed to me was the Banana Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies. They looked really good, and, healthy. After seeing the blogger Erin Cooks post on the cookies, I decided that I need to bake them right away.

What was so great about these cookies, for me, was that they didn't taste like a banana muffin. They tasted like they were really a Banana Cookies, which, was what I was looking for. I did, however, not add the chocolate chips. I wanted to make these so that my father could eat them too (who doesn't really enjoy chocolate... hard to believe, right?), so I didn't had the chocolate chips. Nonetheless, they still came out really well. This is a recipe I'll be keeping on hand.





Recipe

1 1/4 cups flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
6 tbsp. butter, room temperature
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla
1 cup rolled oats
2 bananas, ripe


1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.

2. In a small bowl, stir the flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon together, set aside. In a large bowl, beat the butter and sugars until smoothly blended. Add the egg and vanilla and beat until blended.

3. Slowly add the flour mixture with the butter mixture, mixing just until it is incorporated. Stir in the oatmeal. Use a large spoon to mix in the ripe bananas and mash, mixing just until they are evenly distributed.

4. Drop by tablespoonfuls of dough onto prepared baking sheets. Bake until edges are lightly browned and the tops look dry, about 18 minutes. Cool the cookies on the baking sheet for 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.

Makes about 2 dozen cookies








12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those sound amazing!

Erin said...

Thanks so much for the link back to my site! I really do think these are going to become one of my favorite cookie recipes.

Patricia Scarpin said...

Tarah, I love the idea of making cookies with bananas. Haven't tried it yet and yours are inspirational!

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

I love banana oatmeal, so I can only imagine how delicious banana oatmeal COOKIES taste - yum!

Hillary said...

Hi, I just found your blog through Picky Palate. I am making your banana oatmeal cookies as I type. They are in the oven. If they taste as good as the batter does then I am going to love them. I am excited about your blog and enjoy trying new recipes. Thanks for sharing.

Deborah said...

I bet the oatmeal keeps it as more of a cookie - they sound delicious!

Emily said...

The banana cookies sound delicious! I know what you mean about anything banana tasting like banana bread. I have that problem. Banana cake always turns into banana bread. ha ha-

Shelby said...

I just made the Martha Stewart recipe for Banana Walnut Chocolate Chip cookies! I also made the Spicy Baked Macaroni you posted - it was yummy!

RecipeGirl said...

I just made these a couple of weeks ago. I was pleased also that they were not the usual cakey banana cookie. Mine had the chocolate chips in them. I'm lovin' that Choc. Chip cookbook. I've made a few goodies from there!

Unknown said...

I made these this morning and added the recipe to my recipe blog and linked back here. I did have to make an adjustment on the flour. Don't know why they flattened out so much.

But they taste wonderful! Thanks so much for sharing!

http://onpansandkneadles.blogspot.com/2008/06/banana-oatmeal-cookies.html

Susan from Food Blogga said...

I'm going to post on banana cookies soon and will definitely link to yours. I put oatmeal in my too. Yours look delicious!

Anonymous said...

My cookies are also in the oven. I do not enjoy chocolate just like your father. I'm constantly searching new cookie recipes without chocolate in it. I love oats and bananas so I'm baking these. The batter is yummy and they are so easy to make! Thank you so much for posting this recipe!

 
 
Genesis of a Cook
check out Tastespotting