Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Raisin Apple Muffins




About two weeks from now, I'll be leaving for Gatlinburg, Tennessee. I'm really excited. I have not been in the mountains in a very, very, very long time. I use to go all the time as a kid. But, that was usually with my grandparents. My parents aren't necessarily mountainess people. They enjoy the beach. Which is why every year we usually go to the Bahamas or the Keys. However, for what ever reason, both my parents wanted to go the mountains this year.

It was mainly for the fact that my mothers lupus has been getting a little worse this year, making her have to stay out of the sun more often. Which I don't mind. I don't like the sun. It's joked that I'm a vampire. I'm very pale and I don't tan. I could try to tan, but I'll just turn into a tomato. If I could, I would live in an area where light never reached. Somewhere that is always cloudy. That'd be the way to live for me.

Anyways, since I've been just dying to go up the the mountains, I thought about making something that would remind me of it. For me, anything that's reminds me of fall, reminds me of the mountains. I think it was because every time I went to the mountain was usually in the fall. So, Raisin Apple Muffins kind of seemed like fall. Well, for me that is. They're actually pretty healthy for you too. You would never guess either. They taste excellent. They're nice and moist, not greasy, and taste amazing when right out of the oven. Nice and simple.





Recipe

For the Muffins

1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt
1 egg
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup canola oil
1 cup shredded tart apple (I used a cheese shredder)
1/4 cup raisins

For the Crumb Topping

2 tbsp. flour
2 tbsp. quick oats
2 tbsp. brown sugar
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tbsp. cold butter


1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Place muffin paper in tins or grease muffin tins. In a bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Set aside.

2. In a small bowl, combine the egg, milk and oil. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in the apple and raisins. Evenly divide the batter. Fill the muffin cups about two-thirds full with batter.

3. For topping, in a small bowl, combine the flour, oats, brown sugar and cinnamon; cut in butter until crumbly. Sprinkle over batter. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack.




8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those are really good pictures of the inside of the muffin. I've been having trouble getting texture shots of muffins. I don't think my lens can get that close.

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

"I'm very pale and I don't tan. I could try to tan, but I'll just turn into a tomato." Haha, you're just like me then :0)

Those muffins sound so scrumptious!!

Have fun in Tennessee!!

Katie said...

The inside looks like great texture of light and airy goodness. Great Pictures.

Dragon said...

As a kid, my Dad would tell people that I was part vampire because I never liked to be in the sun for too long. :)

Love the muffins. The topping is such a great idea!

Anonymous said...

Those muffins look great! You captured the texture perfectly.

Btw, I've tried your peanut butter sandies, and they were a hit! Thanks, Tarah :)

Anonymous said...

Your Raisin Apple Muffins look soooo good!!!
I gave you an award for your great recipes!
Look at my blog and congratulations!

RecipeGirl said...

Your muffins look great. I have some muffins on my blog today. Have fun on your vacation!

Anonymous said...

The muffins look like the belong about bakery :). I also love Fallish foods, and muffins are always at the top of my dessert list! We would love to feature your recipe on our kitchen digital recipe reader. Please email me at sophiekiblogger@gmail.com if you're interested. Have a great weekend! :)

 
 
Genesis of a Cook
check out Tastespotting