Thursday, August 16, 2007

Sweet Potato Casserole



I didn't think it was possible! But, I found something that I enjoy just as much as Ruth Chris Steakhouse's Sweet Potatoes!

A few months ago, me and my family went to Ruth Chris Steakhouse to celebrate my fathers birthday. I've never been one to enjoy Steakhouse, since I'm not to big about steak, but Ruth Chris is pretty darn good! I love they're potatoes. They have from mashed to julienne to lyonnaise. And they're all extremely good! But, what they've become pretty famous for, that is, beside they're steak and bread pudding for me, is they're Sweet Potato Casserole! Usually, if you have Sweet Potato Casserole, you'll find Marshmallows on them. Well, thats how its always been more me, don't know about others...

What I found so intriging about theirs was that had a Pecan Crust on top! Can you say, Heaven?! I took a bite and I swear I died and went to heaven! In my view, this dish is so sweet that I see it more as a dessert of some sort! I never bother to try and see if I could even make a dish close enough to compare to they're sweet potatoes, but I tried anyways. And to my surprise, it tasted just as great! I have a new food that intent to be making more often. No more waiting for Thanksgiving!




Recipe

CRUST

1 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup flour
1 cup chopped pecans
1/3 stick butter, melted

SWEET POTATO MIXTURE

3 cups mashed sweet potatoes [baked]
1 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 eggs, well beaten
1 stick butter [You can leave out if you'd like]

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine brown sugar, flour, nuts and butter in mixing bowl. Set aside.

2. Combine sweet potatoes, sugar, salt, vanilla, eggs and butter in a mixing bowl in the order listed. Mix thoroughly. Pour mixture into buttered baking dish. Sprinkle the surface of the sweet potato mixture evenly with the crust mixture.

3. Bake for 30 minutes. Allow to set at least 30 minutes before serving.




0 comments:

 
 
Genesis of a Cook
check out Tastespotting