Saturday, May 17, 2008

Blackberry Rice Pudding





Pudding is one of those things that I normally only have during the Spring and the Winter. It's nice and creamy and doesn't make you feel like you had too much. Which no one really likes that feeling when it's a hundred degrees out and in a swim suit.

My favorite kind of pudding, is Rice Pudding. Rice is one of those things I grew up with and had pretty much with anything. When ever my mom would make jasmine rice or risotto, I'd ask her to leave some for me to make rice pudding with. This was one of the first rice pudding I really made when I first discovered rice pudding. It's nice and light and pretty creamy. One of my favorite puddings to have during this time of
year!

If you wanted, you could substitute the blackberries with strawberries! It really goes well with this recipe as well. It's just as great, and it's a great alternative for you strawberry lovers out there!





Recipe

6 tbsp. risotto rice, carnaroli or arborio
2 cups milk
1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
10.5 oz blackberries
1 tbsp. vanilla (optional)
1/2 cup sugar
1/8 cup water


1. In a small pot, dissolve 1/2 cup sugar with the water and bring to a gentle boil. Wash and dice half of the blackberries. Add them to the syrup with cinnamon and the lime juice.

2. Simmer on low heat for about fifteen minutes. Let cool.

3. In the meantime, rinse the rice under cold water. Bring the milk to a first boil. Slowly pour the rice in. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for about 30 minutes. Until the rice is cooked but still al dente. Let slightly cool in a bowl.

4. When the cooked blackberries are cooked, mix them with the rice. Put into individual cups or a bowl and add the remainder blackberries.



7 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

I too love rice-pudding, no matter what time of year it is; and I love blackberries, so your latest creation is DEFINITELY calling out my name! Yum!

MrPrezident said...

Hi Tarah,
I was just googling for recipes today and came across your blackberry rice pudding recipe, which looks quite good, so I tried to make some today. Unfortunately it turned out to be a complete disaster! As it turns out, lemon juice causes milk to curdle (yuck!) You must have put that on there as an optional ingredient without actually having tried it. Check out the wikipedia article on Curdling: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curd
It mentions lemon juice on there.

Elle said...

Tarah, that looks fantastic! Nice spin on good old rice pudding.

Anonymous said...

This looks delicious and I can't wait to try it. The cinnamon is in tablespoons, I assume?

Jenny said...

MMM,
I haven't made rice pudding in a while, it looks and sounds great! The colors are beautiful!

Anonymous said...

This is a nice recipe! Looks delicious! I love the idea of using berries in a pudding!

copper said...

Thanks so very much for taking your time to create this very useful and informative site. I have learned a lot from your site. Thanks!! I think you have done an excellent job with your site. I will return in the near future.bridal gowns
bridal dresses

 
 
Genesis of a Cook
check out Tastespotting