Monday, September 8, 2008

Orange Cranberry Bundt Cake




Football is back. Honestly, I'm not a huge fan of football. I'm more of a baseball kind of girls. However, here at my house, football is everything. My father is obsessed with football and has since he was in high school to college. You'll definitely know if footballs on or not with him here. You'll hear him screaming at the top of his lungs going "Go, go, go, go!!!" or "What was that!?", and of course, "Yea!!!!!!"

We're FSU fans here. Go Seminoles. I usually watch the big games with my family when they're on. It can be pretty entertaining. Especially when you see the coaches faces turn red from anger. Or when the ref just does a horrible call. I get a kick out of it. I find it funny to see how everyone reacts. It's usually the same. Everyone yells.

Anyways, for the fact that football is coming back, my dad decided to have a family BBQ on Saturday. I wanted to do something to. So I baked. I was going to do a Carrot Cake, but then I came across this recipe over at Culinary Concoctions by Peabody and decided to try it out.

I've never never gotten a bad recipe from her site. All her recipes are fantastic and they never let me down. They're all just amazing. And so was this. I decided to switch the dates that she used and added dried cranberries instead. The smell of is was lovely. Moist and dense and so mouth watering delicious.





Recipe

For the Cake

1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup sugar
2 large egg
Zest of 1 medium orange
1 tsp. vanilla
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
2/3 cup buttermilk
1 cup dried cranberries

For the Glaze

1 cup powder sugar
1/2 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
1 Tbsp. grated orange zest


1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and lightly flour a 10-12 cup Bundt pan.

2. Using a mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream the butter on medium-high speed about 1 minutes, until fluffy. Add the sugar and cream on medium-high speed about 30 seconds. Add the eggs all at once and continue creaming for one minute. Add the orange zest and vanilla; beat until combined.

3. Add about half the flour, the baking soda, and the salt; mix on medium-low speed until just combined. Add the buttermilk and mix on medium-low speed until just combined. Add the rest of the flour and mix until just combined. Gently stir in the dates.

4. Spoon the batter evenly into the pan. Bake for 40-45 minutes. Let cake cool in the pan about 10 minutes. Invert it onto a rack and cool at least 20 minutes before glazing. Transfer cake to a serving plate.

5. For the glaze, combine the ingredients together and whisk until it becomes a creamy orange color. Pour glaze over cake.Serve at room temperature.




12 comments:

Anonymous said...

This looks wonderful. I probably would have preferred the cranberries to the dates myself - just a personal thing, I find dates a little too sweet for me.

Susan from Food Blogga said...

I'm a football fan myself. And I know I'd be a fan of this cake as well.

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Same here!! Although I'm not a big football fan, I find it quite hilarious when the coaches and referees get into shouting matches :0)

You definitely CAN'T go wrong with a recipe from Peabody - glad that you made the bundt cake for the BBQ!

Cristine said...

Looks delish! And your photography is amazing!

Maria♥ said...

Wow this looks so delish!! I'm going to make this soon, thanks for sharing with us.

Maria
x

Anonymous said...

The cake looks great! Love that you used cranberries - I really love them and I think they are a great addition to almost every dish.

Shari said...

Those photos are great! The cake sounds delicious, too.

Snooky doodle said...

Nice photos. And i like your recipes. I just discovered your blog . You re really good in photography and baking :-)

Anonymous said...

My wife made this today and I think this recipe is off. Two cups of butter is way too much for a bundt cake. It came out tasting like eating oil. We threw it out. :(

Anonymous said...

I went to the site where she found the recipe and she copied it wrong. It's only supposed to be 1/2 cup of butter!!!!!!!!! NOT TWO!!!! ARGH!!!!!

Anonymous said...

uh, dude, it says on the recipe, 1/2 a cup of butter. Learn to read.

Anonymous said...

These look awesome, thanks! My husband is going to love them!
By the way, seeing cheap bridemaid dresses, cheap mother of the bride dresses , cheap flower girl dresses , cheap wedding dresses, on this website is a enjoyingable thing.

 
 
Genesis of a Cook
check out Tastespotting