Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Dutch Apple Bread

Not only do I have pounds of apples, but I have pounds of apples that I didn't really know what to do with. A little over a week ago, my Nana went to South Carolina and they have really good apples. I asked her if she could bring be back some apples so I could bake with them. She said she would. I was so excited and couldn't wait to get the apples.

When she came back, she didn't just bring me a some apples. She brought me back about 5 bags worth!! I have no idea what she was thinking, but now I have a bunch of apples that I need to do something with before they go bad! So, I'm going to have to start baking up a bunch of things that have apples!

I hadn't baked any bread lately, so thats what first came to mind. Bread. I love cinnamon with apples. Beside chocolate and peanut butter, I think cinnamon is a great combination with apples. It just really gives it a good flavor. It's also very fall like. So, I decided to wipe out the apples and make a Dutch Apple Bread. The topping for this bread was astounding! It was sweet. And this bread really made it feel like fall was here.


For Topping

1/3 cup flour
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
3/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/8 tsp. salt
1/4 cup walnuts, chopped
1 tbsp. apple cider
1 tbsp. oil

For Bread

2 1/4 cups flour
1 cup sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1 1/2 cups apples, peeled and chopped
1/4 tsp. cream of tartar
2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup buttermilk
3 large egg whites
3 tbsp. oil
1 tsp. vanilla

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a medium bowl, stir together flour, brown sugar, salt and toasted walnuts. With a fork, mix in oil and apple cider until crumbly. Set aside for later.

2. In a large bowl, beat in eggs. Add in cream of tartar until soft. Slowly pour in 1/2 cup of sugar until stiff peaks form.

3. In a large bowl, mix together flour, remaining sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt.

4. In a medium bowl, whisk together buttermilk, oil and vanilla. Stir wet ingredients with dry until moistened. Fold in apples. Add in about 1/3 of the stiff egg whites and fold to lighten the batter. Fold in the rest and make sure not to overmix.

5. Evenly divide batter into two 8 1/2" x 4 1/2" loaf pans coated with nonstick spray. Sprinkle the batter with the topping.

6. Bake for about 30-40 minutes or until toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean. Let cool in pan for about 10 minutes then take out to let cool completely.


Anonymous said...

this looks delicious! but how many eggs are you supposed to use?

zhao-zhuxi said...

OMG, looks so tasty...
It scares me, but I'm slowly becoming a kitchen-addict :]

Patricia Scarpin said...

It looks so tender, Tarah!
I love baking with apples.

BC said...

My goodness. You will be busy with all those apples! Welcome to the Daring Bakers.

DOnna said...

how much apple cider do i add into the bread mixture?

Genesis of a Cook
check out Tastespotting