Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Pumpkin Pecan Scones



I've always just loved scones. I grew up on them. A majority of my family is English, and when I would stay with my grandmother as a kid, we would usually eat traditional English food. She loved and lived off the traditional foods of England; Foods like lamb, shepherd's pie, cottage pie, bangers and mash, toad in the hole, which I really miss, and she absolutely loved scones and spotted dogs.

I was always the blueberry scone type and I still am to this day. But, I really like any kind of scone to be honest. They're all delicious and tasty that theres nothing that I can really say bad about many scones. They're all just so... Good!

Since Fall began, I've been craving the spices and goodness of pumpkin. It's something about Fall that has me craving these things. Like how Christmas has me crave Peppermint and Summer has me crave Pineapple. Whatever the season, I'm always craving something in particular. And it's Fall, so I thought, 'Why not make Pumpkin Scones??'.

They came out wonderfully and so so delicious! That smell and aroma of Pumpkin when being baked... It's indescribable. I just smelt delicious in the air. I made this entry for Sweetnicks ARF Tuesdays. They have a lot of other great recipes. Defiantly should check it out.




Recipe

2 cups flour
1/3 cup light or dark brown sugar
1/2 tsp. ground ginger
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 cup butter, cold and cut up
1/3 cup white chocolate, chopped
1/4 cup pecans
1/3 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup pure pumpkin
1 tsp. vanilla


1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees and place rack in middle of oven.

2. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, spices, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Cut the butter into small pieces and blend into the flour mixture. Mixture should look like coarse crumbs. Stir in white chocolate and pecans.

3. In another bowl, mix together pumpkin, buttermilk and vanilla. Add to flour mixture. Mix together just until dough comes together. Do not overmix.

4. Transfer to a lightly floured surface and knead dough gently, four or five times, and then pat into a circle about 7 inches round and 1 1/2 inches thick. Cut into 6-8 triangles. Image like your cutting a pizza.

5. Place scones on baking sheet and bake for about 20 minutes or until golden brown and a toothpick inserted into middle comes out clean. Let cool.




5 comments:

Helene said...

They sound and look absolutely delicious! I am copying this recipe for this weekend! great job!

Betsy said...

They look great! I am glad to find your blog!

Heather said...

I will have to make these this weekend!! I love scones.
Do you have a recipe for a cinnamon scone?

Anonymous said...

Those sound devine!

Alysha said...

Hi Tarah - I just found a link from your blog to mine so I came over to look around. How timely - I've been wanting to make pumpkin scones - thanks for sharing this recipe they look yummy.

I see lot of other yummy things to check out.....mmmmm..........

 
 
Genesis of a Cook
check out Tastespotting